Gospel of Life Council
Change, One Heart at a Time
The Mission of the Gospel of Life Ministry is to convert the heart of the parish towards understanding, support, and action on social concerns. We will accomplish this through:
- Encouragement of parish efforts by means of...
- Education on social justice that...
- Enlightens the parish to key social concerns and...
- Enlists parish members to advocate...
- Effective social justice change, one heart at a time.
Groups under Gospel of Life
Pro-Life MInistries , At the Foot of the Cross, Awareness Committee, Prayer Committee, Roses for Life and Youth Committee
Why we do what we do...
Here are some points to ponder from the USCCB's, A Place at the Table.
As Catholics, we must come together with a common conviction that we can no longer tolerate the moral scandal of poverty in our land and so much hunger and deprivation in our world.
- "What did you do for the least of these?" Jesus identified himself with the hungry, the thirsty, the naked, the imprisoned, and the stranger, insisting that when we serve them we serve him (Mt 25:40).
- In the United States, thirty-four million people live below the official poverty line... If all these people lived in one state, its population would be larger than the combined current populations of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Idaho, Iowa and Arizona.
- Our Church's commitment to find a place at the table for all God's children is expressed in every part of our country and in the poorest places on earth... Our faith gives us the strength, identity, and principles we need to sustain this work.
- The table we seek for all rests on these four institutions, or legs: (1) what families and individuals can do, (2) what community and religious institutions can do, (3) what the private sector can do, and (4) what the government can do to work together to overcome poverty.
- This is a time not for "just words or mere talk" but for "active and genuine" commitment by Catholics in the United States to work with others to make a place at the table for all God's children.